The Brix Challenge 2022 Exceeds Goal in Raising Funds for
The Humane Society of McDonough County
The Brix Challenge 2022 was a huge success for the Humane Society of McDonough County. That means great things for many animals in need, as well.
This is the ninth year fellow animal-lovers joined our good friend Chris Brix in raising funds for the important work of the HSMC from late September through the end of October. Chris’ personal pledge of $1,000 got the challenge started and once again, his idea was met with tremendous support. This year we set our Brix Challenge goal high, hoping to raise $20,000.00. Thanks to fantastic support, this year’s Brix Challenge raised an amazing $26,793.00 for the HSMC’s annual operating costs. That is so exciting! All of the funds raised will be used directly to help the animals we all care so much about.
Regional media venues helped us reach a large number of people again this year. With their support, and that of members and friends, local businesses, mailings, social media and word of mouth, The Brix Challenge 2022 gained early momentum that never slowed down. We are extremely grateful to everyone who participated in any way. It’s difficult to express how much that kindness is appreciated or to explain the positive effect it will directly have on the animals whose lives it will touch. To everyone who became a part of this challenge, our most sincere thanks!
The ongoing work of providing for animals in need requires significant funds and energy. The Brix Challenge is the only challenge raising funds specifically for the extensive yearly operational expenses of the HSMC. We have also made a commitment to raise the substantial sum needed for a new McDonough County Animal Shelter. The existing facility, built in the 1980’s, is in great need of being replaced. The current estimated cost of the new building is over $1,000,000.00. The “Shelter Campaign” fundraising endeavors are separate from the annual operating budget, which is crucial to maintain the HSMC’s ongoing programs and initiatives.
The generosity of Chris Brix and those who participated in this year’s Brix Challenge will make the world a better place for many animals in McDonough County. The Humane Society of McDonough County members and supporters work tirelessly on a daily basis to continue and expand many programs and initiatives. A few of those proudly include:
1) PROMOTING ADOPTIONS of cats and dogs at the McDonough County Animal Shelter via weekly posters, social media, news outlets, adoption sponsorships and promoting adoptions of difficult to place animals through reduced adoption fees.
2) SPONSORSHIP AND FOSTER of those animals whose time is running out at the McDonough County Animal Shelter by moving them into foster homes where they can live in a family and enjoy socialization while awaiting their forever home.
3) REDUCING OVERPOPULATION through two separate spay/neuter programs. One serves to promote adoption of animals at the shelter by subsidizing the cost of altering animals adopted from the shelter. The other is a partnership with the Quincy Humane Society that provides transportation and spay/neuter for barn/feral cats at no cost to the caretaker. If space is available companion dogs and cats may take advantage of this for a nominal fee.
4) PROVIDING MEDICAL CARE to shelter and county animals in emergency situations through the discretionary use of our long-standing “Angel Fund.”
5) HELPING KEEP ANIMALS IN THEIR HOMES and with their families when they meet with financial distress via the Pet Food Pantry and through discretionary use of the “Angel Fund.”
The Humane Society of McDonough County is an all-volunteer organization, 100% dependent on donations and gifts. Our vision is to provide humane care and treatment for animals in McDonough County. While much of our work supports the McDonough County Animal Shelter and the animals there, we function as a separate entity from the county-administered shelter. All contributions to the HSMC go entirely toward improving the lives of animals in our community and those at the county animal shelter.
We sincerely thank everyone who supported The Brix Challenge this year and for the confidence shown for the hard work of the HSMC. Your choice to be a part of the Brix Challenge 2022 will make a significant difference for the animals whose lives will be touched by your thoughtfulness. Once again we are reminded that one person’s idea, shared with others, can create a reality of positive difference.
Chris Brix with PeeWee